Originally devised from a suggestion that it would be possible to cross 40 miles of the North Yorks Moors on foot using only heather and moorland tracks (encountering only two tarmac roads) in under 24hrs, the ‘Lyke Wake Walk’ was first completed in October of 1955. Still encountering relatively few tarmac road sections the challenge follows a linear route. The route is a distance of approximately 40 miles (64km) with 5000ft (1500m) of ascent through remote moorland. The challenge is to complete the route in under 24hrs though with good planning and favourable conditions is often completed substantially less than this.
The route crosses the rolling heather moorland of the North York Moors National Park usually started at Osmotherley and travelled from West to East to its finishing point at Ravenscar on the North Yorkshire coast.
We can organise your bespoke challenge all year round, obviously the additional demands of seasonal weather conditions that may be encountered should be considered.
Who is it for?
The ‘Lyke Wake Walk’ is often undertaken by adventurous charity fundraising groups, corporate groups and determined walkers up for trekking the long distance of the route whilst also having the additional challenge of possibly continuing during hours of darkness.
Will I enjoy it?
Walking through remote areas of England’s largest expanse of heather moorland the challenge will take you through a beautiful landscape, especially from late July when the purple of the flowering heather blankets the area. The Lyke Wake is regarded as a ‘classic long distance’ walking route and whilst obviously challenging it is also a hugely rewarding experience and personal achievement.
The route follows high ground paths of the moorland on which corpse bearers originally carried their unfortunate load to the ‘Wake’! Although there is no set route a successful challenge should follow the high ground of the moor. The route is usually done from East to West to avoid walking into the prevailing wind.
This is a moorland trek with no technical mountaineering difficulties but will demand stamina and determination from all those aiming to complete the 40 mile route in one go!
Your Mountain Challenge supports the UK National Parks recognition of the positive benefits that can be gained by people joining an organised recreational event and experiencing the outstanding natural beauty of these landscapes. Your Mountain Challenge also appreciates that whilst we are keen to help people enjoy these areas the upmost care should be taken to minimise any negative impact to the environment or disruption to the local communities.
We will where possible seek to run events on less busy dates and encourage challenge participants to use local businesses and support the area economically to offset any disturbance. We ask every participant to complete their challenge without leaving any trace on the landscape other than footprints and to also remove at least 1 piece of litter each for responsible disposal.
What we provide
- Fully qualified, experienced and knowledgeable Mountain Leaders.
- Group emergency and First Aid kit with qualified First Aiders.
- Event support vehicle.
- Pre-event contact with event coordinator to discuss the bespoke organisation and planning options available to suit your individual groups requirements, whilst also offering guidance towards gaining the highest challenge success rate.
- Flexibility and advice on preferred dates, starting time & starting point.
- Refill of drinking water at pre designated meeting points around the route.
- Certificate of completion.
What we do not provide
- Transport to or from challenge start/finish points – We will assist with advice where at all possible.
- Food, drinks or refreshments other than bottled water during the day. N.B We will carry pre packed food and refreshment supplied by the challenge group for collection at meeting points on the route in our support vehicle by arrangement.
- Insurance for personal accident, emergency evacuation and health, theft of or damage to personal effects, or cancellation of event participation.
Our pricing is simple
- 1-9 participants: £850 total.
- 10-16 participants: £850 + £85 per person.
- 17+ participants: £1445 + £75 per person.
Let's do it
If you have decided this is the challenge for you and would like to make a booking or if have more questions before you decide, please get in touch and we'll be happy to help.Get in touch